Re: Electricals Question

To: TimWardUK@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electricals Question
From: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:38:34 +0100
In message <37f.1864f60.317ca387@aol.com>, TimWardUK@aol.com writes
>Hi
>
>I am thinking of fitting a cigar lighter to my BJ8 so I can charge my  mobile
>phone, and run a TomTom SatNav off it as well.
>
>My BJ8 has the original wiring set up.
>
>My question is:
>
>for devices that run off a cigar lighter like phone chargers and power
>converters for things like SatNav, does it matter whether the car is
>positive or
>negative earth?
>
>Thanks in advance for all the help I know i will get.
>
>Tim
>BJ8 1967
>Frogeye 1959
>
>Tim Ward
>Warwick House
>12 Mill  Road
>Kislingbury
>Northants. NN7 4BB
>Tel: 07855 388 751
>
>_www.SixSigmaWorks.co.uk_ (http://www.sixsigmaworks.co.uk/)
>www.TimWardAssociates.com

Polarity does matter, unless the connected device has reversing diodes
fitted - which I think is unlikely. If you fitted a cigar lighter with
reversed wiring, on an insulated panel, you'd have to be aware that the
(visible, touchable) outer sleeve was at battery potential above chassis
earth.

Personally, I would fit my own two-pin, fused, connector under the dash
somewhere. Cigar lighters are a bit of a mechanical abomination anyway.

I think I have heard that there is a newer accessory connector being
introduced for vehicles, to allow for phones, laptops, satnavs etc., but
don't know any more than that. Can anyone else shed more light?
--
Alan F Cross (H-BJ8-L/41672 aka "Ginny")
Webmaster for the UK's national Austin Healey Club at: