RE: Tire AND Wheel sizes

To: <Britishcardoc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Tire AND Wheel sizes
From: "Harlan Polk" <happolk@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:55:32 -0700
David,

I agree. I expect many of us may be forced into 16 inch wheels due to lack
of modern 15 inch tires. Rather than being forced, let's plan ahead. 16 inch
wire wheels are a pretty simple proposition, especially as the Rudge 42 hub
is a popular standard, spokes are simple to manufacture at different
lengths, and the 16 inch rim is also a multi-application standard. Finally
the offset, what bicyclists call "dish", is readily adjustable by the spoke
lengths chosen and the truing process.

There are very few solid (alloy) wheels made with the Healey's 5 by 5 inch
bolt circle. Some solid wheels are designed to facilitate alternate
drillings. Perhaps the best approach is to design and sell a bolt indexing
drill jig to facilitate redrilling Healey hubs and brake hats/drums for 5 by
4.75 inch or 5 by 4.5 inch bolt circles or a popular metric equivalent. Then
the broad range of solid wheels and brake disks would be available. Updating
to ARP studs wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Hap 100M