Heater question(and stables of cars)

To: "'Greg Lemon'" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, <rdavies1@cox.net>,
Subject: Heater question(and stables of cars)
From: "Harlan Polk" <happolk@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:02:26 -0700
Greg,

Those were the days. The '54 Plymouth had a torque converter ahead of a
three-speed column shift transmission. Clutch was [somewhat] optional.
Transmission input shaft ahead of the torque converter was worn. The seal
would blow with depressing regularity. The torque converter shared oil with
the engine!-twelve quarts in all. Nothing like driving along and then boom,
dropping 12 quarts on the street, then no more torque to the wheels. I got
very good at removing and replacing that HEAVY bell housing, torque
converter, clutch, transmission, and driveshaft mounted emergency brake
combination sometimes lying in 12 quarts. Learned a lot about oil seals.
Anyway, it was more reliable than the '53 Chevy which required two
additional 6V batteries hooked up in series for 12V to spin the starter
motor. Starting technique? Lift hood. Connect jumper cable permanently
mounted to starter solenoid to auxiliary battery pair. Get in car. Start
engine. Disconnect jumper cable. Close hood. Get in car. Drive forward (two
speed powerglide transmission's reverse band was shot-no reverse worth
mentioning.) Put auxiliary batteries on a trickle charger overnight. I
considered the Healey to be comparably reliable. My solution for that
fortuitous event? Hot rod the Healey!

I think your neighbor's solution of having multiple cars of the same brand
was smart, but not as entertaining as our approaches.

Best,

Hap 100M