WHITWORTH

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: WHITWORTH
From: Robert Larson <robertlarson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:52:50 -0400
Hi All,

            The issue of correct sizes for wrenches and sockets has come
up many times.  For those that might be interested here is a link to a
handy chart the gives the British sizes in inches and MM.  This can
assist in getting the "right" size or the closest "wrong" size.

http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm

             The crankshaft nut is a classic example of its size being
questioned.  Generally 1 11/16 or 43mm is given as the size to use but
the "correct" size, at least for the 4 cylinder engines is 1W.   Not
cheap but the same site lists here a 1W  3/4inch drive socket for $65,
part D32-1W

  http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth.htm

             To the best of my knowledge the BN1's and 2's were all
Whitworth.  The later cars were "inched" but  never entirely as many
items remained the same over the lines.  The crankshaft nut being a
prime example.

             If we look at the Healey Surgeons catalog they show the
crankshaft nut as  ENG-007 for BN1-BJ8. Moss in  catalog  AHY-04 shows
837-080 for the 4's and 031-204 for the 6's.   If as the Healey Surgeons
catalog indicates they are the same at least the underlying threads are
the same or it would not  be usable.  I don't know what changed on the
later cars.  It is possible that the threads are still Whitworth and the
across the flat dimension changed. That might explain the 2 Moss
numbers.   Maybe someone on the list who has experience with the cars
across the years  can comment.

Bob
55BN1