Re: BN1 Gear Box Removal

To: "Manuel Formosinho Sanchez" <ManuelFS@emparque.pt>,
Subject: Re: BN1 Gear Box Removal
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 17:50:35 -0400
Manuel,

Remove seats, floor carpets, gearbox cover, bulkhead panel.

Undo speedo 90 degree drive from gearbox.

Undo drive shaft flange from gearbox.

>From under car, remove stay rod.

Position the car so a lifting tackle or sling can drop straight down just
missing the dash, and wrap a lifting sling around the forward area of the
o/d unit. This is approx. the balance position of the gearbox/od assembly.

Support engine by rear plate or with a flat piece of wood under rear area of
engine oil pan and undo all bell housing bolts.

Gently lift the gearbox up slightly and pull it back, disengaging the 1st
motion spline from the clutch.

Lift the gearbox ass'y a bit more. You will need to rotate the gearbox
counter clockwise slightly to clear the bell housing starter motor bulge.

You will be able to swing the whole assembly slightly back and pivot it
sideways, and set it back on the floor, bell housing toward passenger side
of car. Now undo the sling from around the gearbox assembly.

With an assistant, pick the assembly up and walk it out of the passenger
side of the car.

When replacing in the car, set the assembly back in the car sitting
crosswise.

Resling as before and lift the assembly slightly. Rotate it back around so
the bell housing is facing forward.

Again you will have to rotate the bell housing slightly to clear the starter
motor bulge past the bulkhead.

Put gear lever in top gear so you can rotate the tail shaft flange to engage
the clutch splines. When lined up you will feel it drop into the splines and
the whole thing can be pushed forward to close up the gap.

Reinstall all bolts, etc, etc.

I've done this many times on all series big Healey gearboxes and it's worked
well for me.

Rich Chrysler