Re: Sprite Radiator Fan Direction

To: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Sprite Radiator Fan Direction
From: "Walt & Zoe Harrison" <wzharrison@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:04:56 -0700
I agree with Alan, flipping the fan will not change the air flow direction.
And,
as Alan says, the fan blade pitch may be the culprit.

However, the fan "pulls" the air from front-to-back, through the radiator.
By opening the bonnet and looking, it should be a simple test to see that
the
fan is pulling the air through the radiator.

But; there other things to investigate, in no order:
* Is the radiator coolant at the correct level?
* Is the radiator blocked with leaves, bugs, debris, etc.?
* Are the radiator fins, or gills, straight and clean?  If bent or clogged
they will
   not be efficient and can cause overheating.
* Although the radiator cap is new, is it correct?  Usually 7 pound/sq in.
* Is the radiator thermostat functional?  Although new, if it is not
operating
   correctly it may not be opening as expected.
* What is the radiator thermostat rating?  Usually 160 or 180 degrees, but
there
   may be other thermostats available, I'm not sure.
* Is the radiator core clean and functional, i.e. not clogged with crap (a
technical term)?
   Flushing the radiator might resolve this issue.
* Is the anti-freeze mixture correct, and fresh?  Anti-freeze can change
over time,
   become polluted with radiator crap (see above), get diluted, etc.  All of
these
   will reduce the cooling efficiency, and can cause over-heating.  See
above,
   flushing and refilling should address this problem.

I believe these are the radiator basics, but if the engine is running hot
because of
timing problems, fouled plugs, etc. you should address those first.

Good luck.

Walt
'60 AN5