fuel pump problems

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel pump problems
From: "James E Austin, Jr." <ahbugeye1@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 15:50:14 -0400
I received an unused SU fuel pump with my boxes of parts when I purchased
my car (BJ7 with a BJ8 motor) in 1999.  I can't say that the pump is new
any more, maybe new old stock.  It has been stored in the original box
that it came in from Moss,  received some time between 1996 and 1999.  I
had the car ready to start, when I found that the pump would not work.
Electrical current is going to the pump, but it does not operate.  I
removed the cover and ran a piece of fine sand paper over the points,
this did not help. I removed the six screws that holds the body together
and started to break the unit apart, but found it did not want to
separate that easily.  So before I take the big hammer to it, I thought I
would stop and ask the list if others have had problems with these pumps
(AZX1318 POSITIVE GROUND,  Moss # 377-160) or is it possible that the
diaphragm could have harden to the point that it will not operate.
   I would appreciate any help that you could offer.

Thanks, Sam Austin