Spacers, Shims, and bearings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Spacers, Shims, and bearings
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:33:07 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/06 5:23:05 PM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> The sleeve provides triangulation to help resist axle bending. The
> tensil loads
> are not the problem. Suit yourself. Everyone has an opinion.

All I can say is: just try installing everything without the shims and then
just tighten the nut down (as one would do on other cars and as my mechanic did
without my knowledge when prepping my MGA for the track).   Within about six
miles (three laps) the parts will sort of weld themselves together, the
bearing will explode and the spacer will break into several pieces. If the
driver
realizes what's happening -- I wouldn't have, but an experienced racing friend
took the car out on its maiden laps -- he will pull over immediately, and the
car can be put back on the track within an hour or so, provided there is
someone in the next van with a spacer, a bearing, and a set of shims.
Bottom line, the spacer is definitely under some tension from something, and
the shims are the difference between a car that will run for years and one
that will risk losing a wheel in the first six miles.
So, regardless of how or why it works, it does work and that's good enough
for me. This I know for the workshop manual tells me so.