Re: Pertronix igniter

To: Robert Bender <rbender1@berkshire.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix igniter
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:27:17 -0700
Hi Robert,

 From my digging & experience;

Earlier BN1's used Lucas distributor #40320 - standard & #40422 for the
LeMans engine. Both require the Pertronix LU241 Igniter.

Later cars, supposedly from C/E #230361, used the Lucas distributor
#40495 - standard & #40520 for the LeMans engine. Both require the
Pertronix LU149 Igniter.

My early experience was that "some" Pertronix suppliers got things
mislabeled or otherwise in the wrong boxes. Hopefully this is not a
problem now.

The coil for use on four cylinder cars is recommended to have no less
than 2.7 Ohms primary resistance, no external ballast resistor. The
original coil should fit this description. Pertronix has a couple of
coils that match this resistance such as their # P40611. You might want
to replace the coil also if yours is questionable.

I very- very carefully tapped the new Pertronix's high voltage coil
tower to accept the original Lucas screw in wire retainer. It would be
very easy to crack the Pertronix coil tower while doing this so I'm not
sure I would suggest doing the tapping.

No suggestions on the battery.

Regards,
Dave Russell