overdrive problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive problem
From: "Breda O'Sullivan" <conbreda@eircom.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 22:22:48 +0100
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice on my solenoid problem.

(overdrive solenoid was engaging all the time, regardless of dash switch)

I ran all the tests that were recommended to me, but to no avail.

Eventually I took the car to a friend of a friend with an electrical
background, armed with my factory manual.

After a lot of head scratching, tests and coffee, he found on closer
examination, that two of the live wires in the overdrive harness,

Had melted slightly and fused together, thus supplying power constantly to
the solenoid.

It was almost impossible to see, and was only found when the harness was
opened and separated.

Did anyone ever have a similar experience?

I have ordered a new harness and relay,