Fred Hunter

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Fred Hunter
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:07:58 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/06 11:27:42 AM, owner-healeys-digest@autox.team.net
writes:

> Different guy.  Fred had a red 100S--Millie--one of the Mille Miglia cars.
> He lived near KC.  I talked to him at Open Roads in 2002.  Tried to get him
> to bring the car up to Lincoln.  He wasn't into showing it too much as it
> wasn't restored and he took a lot of hits for keeping the car in less than
> pristine condition.  Personally, I thought the car looked awesome with the
> original patina.

Fred was a very nice guy, but definitely one of those who didn't have a lot
of use for clubs, organizers, rule-writers, and the other paraphenalia of most
largely communal hobbies. His car was totally interesting. I remember a very
pleasant afternoon going through it with some folks like Rich Chrysler, who
knew huge amounts about originality and could point out the totally original
and
extremely rare bits on it.
I hope Fred made some plans for the car; for me, I'd love to see the car in
exactly the condition he had maintained it, in the Healey museum where we
could
look forward to such pleasant afternoons in the future.
I didn't know him well, but am still saddened by his passing.
Cheers
Gary