Re: The biggest leak

To: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Subject: Re: The biggest leak
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:18:07 -0700
Hi Ned,

I just got done replacing the rear OD shaft seal (and the front gearbox seal
located in the bell housing). The rear flange was removed with a three arm
puller. The seal is pried out easily with a hook type seal puller. I was
advised to put some Permatex hardening sealer on the splines during re-assembly
and then torqued the nut to at least 80 ft/lbs but more would be better (up to
140 ft/lbs). A bit of a trick to hold the flange to resist spinning so I
drilled a piece of long piece of steel flat stock to bolt to the flange.

Could the three "fiber/leather" washers on top of the strainer be vinyl magnet
material? Just guessing that small metal shavings may be hiding the true
material. If so, wash them off with solvent and re-install since they keep
small metal particles from circulating through the OD/gearbox.

Cheers,
John

---------

Is it really that difficult to replace the OD rear shaft seal?

I drained the OD to get ready to replace the rear seal. I found three fiber
(may be leather) washers on top of the strainer. I don't see them in the
manuals. Could  this be a mistake from previous work?