Exhaust question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust question
From: Achim Spethmann <hspethmann@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:28:09 +0200
Just back from a trip to South England with some bad experience about
the english weather and the height of the ferry ramps.

When entering the ferry, my car hit the floor with the rear silencers
and they were ripped off and seriously dented. I put it in the trunk and
drove home with what was left under the car.

 With my car being a BJ8 MKIII I have an exhaust system with front and
rear silencers and a very moderate sound and I was always jealous of
hearing the Healeys with a straight exhaust system and only two front
silencers.

Now I'm thinking of fixing the exhaust system by adding two stright
pipes at the rear end instead of the two silencers, but I'm not sure, if
it could do any harm to the engine. Normaly the exhaust system is
adjusted to the engine and perhaps the engine needs a certain counter
pressure to work properly. This counterpressure my not be guaranteed by
the remaining two front silencers of the four silencer system.

Is there any experience about this matter?

Achim, Germany
1964 BJ8