RE: Positive Ground

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Positive Ground
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:51:38 -0700
Hi, Ric -
I drove my BJ8 with positive ground for 18 years or so.  In that time, the
only occasion when the car stranded me was due to failed generator bearings.
It took me three days in the Washington, DC area to get that problem fixed.

Before leaving for the Lake Tahoe event in '02, I converted to negative
ground so I could install an alternator.  I didn't want the generator to
strand me in the middle of Kansas, and the alternator is available at any
NAPA store.

If you drive your car a lot, especially on long distances like I do, I would
recommend an alternator, which requires the switch to negative ground.
Besides that, I agree with the comments pointing out the convenience of
negative ground for radios, battery chargers, jump starting, etc.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA