Re: Lightened Flywheels

To: BlkBt7@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lightened Flywheels
From: healeybn7@aol.com
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:05:43 -0400
Bob,

Torque = Inertia x Acceleration.  For a give engine Torque output, and with
reduced Inertia (lightened flywheel), you will get more Acceleration out of the
engine (faster reving).  To much inertia reduction might effect idle quality.
I don't think you will get more horsepower necessarily, just a faster
responding engine to throttle inputs.
There was a thread the other day about TR6 engines v Healey six cylinder
engines, and how the TR engines seem to rev more easily than the Healey
engines.  Perhaps the engine inertia (dominated by the flywheel) is a big part
of that.

Dave