Re: Rear Spring Differences--More

To: Robert Poague <rapoague@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Differences--More
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:58:12 -0700
Hi Bob,

The new Moss springs (021-581) that I got for my BN2 a couple of years
ago have 7 active leaves which are .160" thick, plus the extra wrap
around ends. Sometimes called 8 leaf.

The back sat a little high for a while but settled to a perfect ride
height of 27" measured from ground to wheel opening on the wheel center
line. Same as the front height. After the initial settling, they have
not changed at all. According to the books, the BN1, BN2 went through
three different rear spring configurations. The Moss springs match the
last configuration. The front springs are original & still at the
correct ride height of 27".

The only problem I ever had was the wrap around ends on the new rear
springs were loose & rattled. I drove aluminum shims between the wrap
arounds & the main leaves to tighten them up. The shims don't really
show at all.

My "seemingly" stiff & good condition rear shocks showed a
remarkable improvement After Peter C. rebuilt them. Same with the front
shocks. None of them have leaked a drop by the way.

Moss lists a different spring for the BN4 through early BJ8 but I don't
know what the difference is.

I realize that the BN2 is not the same as the BJ7, but maybe this will
give you a little more info?

Dave Russell
BN2