Re: Rear Spring Differences

To: Alan Seigrist Blue 100 <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Differences
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:08:24 +0100
Alan

Yes the axle is different, assuming you mean the early type, but the
important factor is that the spring centre bolt has a much taller head.
This is to make sure that when this fits through the taper plate that it
still locates into the hole in the axle case.

It always concerns me that most of the parts suppliers both sides of the
Atlantic do not make this distinction. If a short head is fitted the
location of the axle on the spring relies on the clamp bolts being
tight. If they work loose the axle could slip forward or back at an
inconvenient moment and the car will no longer point the way you are
steering it.

Springs can be exchanged on early cars so long as the long head bolt is
transferred.

All the best

--
John Harper