gear engagement

To: <spartan0199@hotmail.com>
Subject: gear engagement
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:44:33 -0500
Justin,
My first guess, without being there to experience the symptoms
personally but taking into account your mileage, would be a badly
worn throwout bearing.
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:18:13 -0400
From: "Justin" <spartan0199@hotmail.com>
Subject: Won't engage gear upon start up

Hello

This summer my car (1961 3000) has developed some difficulties engaging
gears when first started.

A couple of years ago I had a problem that sometimes after my car was
fully warmed up and I would come to a stop I couldn't get it back in
gear.  Upon the suggestion of the list I changed the flexible hose from
the slave cylinder, fixing that problem.

My new situation is when I start the car up for the first time on any
given day I can't engage any gears.  My work around has been to start
the car in gear back it into the driveway and let it warm up for a few
minutes.  After that it seems to work ok for me.  My car has 65,000
miles and the clutch/transmission is mechanically original (I think...).

Anybody else experience this or have ideas on what the problem may be?