Healey owner sent to Iraq!

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey owner sent to Iraq!
From: dicksonr@uwm.edu
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:33:47 -0500
Fellow Listers,

My best friend and Healey owner Capt. Karl Meyer Jr. just arrived in Iraq
yesterday for a one-year stint.  Karl has a wife a 4-year old daughter and a
7-month old son.  He owns a 1960 BT7 and it is not yet on the road.  In 2001 he
found the car in southern Iowa sitting on the frame rails in an apple orchard
and picked it up for $500.  It was just hammered and incredibly rusty.

Currently, it is in the stages of reassembly and has a new motor and gearbox
installed, new radiator, rebuilt overdrive, new frame rails, new outriggers,
new sills and rockers, new floors, new hinge panels and rust repaired.  It now
needs the body panels fitted, bodywork and paint, wiring, new calipers,
interior and other smaller items.  It is currently in Milwaukee but I will
likely haul it up to NE Wisconsin to work on it.  Im going to try to get his
Healey up and running this fall and winter.  If someone on the list would like
to give me a hand this fall and or winter on this project I would really
appreciate it.  I think that is may be too much work for me to tackle.

Ideally, I would like to have it on the road when Karl gets back from Iraq in 12
months.  When he gets home, we are planning to drive our Healeys along the
Lincoln Highway through the Midwest as a shake down drive.  Then a major
expedition along route 66.

Hopefully, having a finished Healey to look forward to will make Karls time
over in Iraq a little easier as well as help get him home in one piece.
Anything that will help him stay positive, look to the future and get him home
in one piece for his family.
I don't know if there are any other Healey-listers serving in the Middle East,
but I hope that you all make it home safely too.

Randy Dickson
Healey Archaeologist

1963 BJ7
1966 Cobra replica