Re: fuel pump ?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel pump ?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:54:43 -0700
George,

I'm not familiar with Bugeye pumps, but most (every?) SU fuel pump had
at least one nipple on the
side of the coil housing.  The hole was to vent the ozone that could
accumulate in the points housing
due to the arcing of the points; it worked in conjunction with a ball
check valve on the points housing.
The nipple was to attach a tube to a dry area (my BJ8 didn't come with
the tube ... I ran one to the
boot).  With the Hall Effect electronic pumps I don't think this venting
is necessary as there are no
points, but my electronic SU came with the nipple and the check valve.

Don't know why you have two, or even if this is the correct answer, but
it's the only reason I know
of for holes in the pump.

bs