Re: Clutch and or transmission problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch and or transmission problem
From: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:21:43 -0700
Answers to questions below:

> Jerry,
>
> Sounds like you have two problems.  First, some questions:
>
> 1) did you replace the flexible hydraulic line when you rebuilt the
> gearbox? Yes the hose was replace at the transmission rebuild.
> 2) did the clutch slipping happen suddenly, or did it develop over time?
While I thought it may have been creeping back, it was really back this
weekend.  When I say back, at about 5000 miles ago, I had similar clutch
slipping.  I pulled the transmission and replace the clutch and pressure
plate.  MOSS parts.

> 3) by "loud vibration/rattle" are you referring to the car, or is it
> isolated to the gearbox?
Isolated to the gearbox and first gear only.

> 4) how come 10K miles on the gearbox, but only 5K on the clutch and
> pressure plate?
>    Does this mean you didn't replace the clutch and pressure plate when
> you had the
>    gearbox out for rebuilding?

See above.  Both were replaced, with the transmission and motor rebuild but
there was slipping at about 5000 miles.  I never noticed lots of oil but
replace the clutch and pressure plate and the slipping went away.

> 5) did you install new pilot and throwout bearings?  at 5K? 10K?  New
> pilot and throwout bearing on both intervals.  bearing did not seem worn
> and there was plenty of play when the clutch was out.  IE: the throw out
> arm was not resting on the pressure plate.  I crawled under the car to
> check it a few times.
>The easiest thing for me to check is oil on the plate.  I can spray some
>cleaner through an access hole and see what drains out.  Test the clutch
>again and see if the symptoms improve.  Even if they do, I need to see
>where the oil is coming from.  To much trouble to keep changing clutches.

By the way, I had synthetic oil in the motor and transmission and decided to
change it, went to Castoil.  then had more leaks for some reason.

Jerry