RE: rear axle paper gasket

To: <Warthodson@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rear axle paper gasket
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:55:13 +1000
G'day Gary

Back before when Austin-Healey parts were available on almost every
street corner, owners had to be resourceful when it came to parts. There
was a time when things like gaskets were as easy to find as rocking
horse shit so we made our own.

I have forgotten how many rear axle gaskets I made but found the paper
from Safeway supermarket bags was perfect.

I suggest that you just buy yourself a small quantity of brown paper and
a sharp pair of scissors. It really is that easy. If you wanted to be
high tech there are also auto accessory stores that would stock bulk
gasket paper and you could even lash out on a single hole punch that
makes it easier. The addition of a modern gasket sealant will make for a
oil tight fit.

If the good book calls for a paper gasket you should use one.

Give it a go.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia