Re: Cervera Gas Tank (was gas tank)

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>, <jobu1950@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cervera Gas Tank (was gas tank)
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:50:50 -0500
Rich,
I have been doing further research on this matter, which is why I am
so long responding.  To address your question, the male fuel line nut
that fits a Longbridge tank female outlet measures 9/16", or .5625",
for thread diameter, and has 18 threads per inch with a 5/8" hex.  This
does not match any BSP, BSW, or BSF thread or diameter.  The only thread and
size match is to 9/16" UNF, which is a very rare size for pipe
fittings or any other hardware, for that matter.  So a 1/4" BSPP female
boss would not work with the factory line nut.  The issue is somewhat
moot anyway, since no supplier offers a fuel tank for the Longbridge
BN4.

The problems I have seen on this list with Cervera tanks are due to the
wrong MALE outlet threads on later-model tanks.  If they are in fact
1/4" NPT then they are not compatible with the 3/8" BSPP fuel line
nut.  A 1/4" NPT tapered male thread starts at a diameter of about .514"
and the taper adds approximately .005" per 3/8" of thread length.  With
18 tapered tpi on the outlet a 19 tpi BSP fuel line nut, with a diameter of
.503", will only screw on a little more than one turn before galling.  Going
beyond this seizing point, as is necessary to get a sealed fit, only
destroys
the thread on the nut, the outlet, or both, and can result in the nut
splitting
if it is forced far enough.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't know if chasing the 1/4 NPT threads
with a 3/8 BSPP die will solve the problem or not.  It might work fine,
or it might remove too much of the already-cut material to leave enough
thread for the nut to be able to grip.  According to Ron Fine it would still
be necessary to machine a mating surface for the compression nipple on
the outlet, too.  Fact is, no buyer of a Healey gas tank should be faced
with this kind of problem.  The tank should come with an outlet that mates
correctly with the fuel line fitting; anything less is sub-standard.
"Close"
DOES NOT equal "correct."
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks