Re: welded exhaust system

To: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Subject: Re: welded exhaust system
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:23:12 +0800
Richard -

I have a Falcon system on my BJ8 and I found that one of the header pipes
was cut too short.  I inserted a stainless steel extension piece to make up
the slack and that helped seal it up permanently.

I would check to make sure the header pipes and tail pipes are inserted into
the muffler far enough to stop leaking.

Also, the original British-style pipe clamps do not bite with sufficient
force to seal the system.  You can seal off the mufflers if you go to Home
Depot and buy the smallest size Stainless Steel flexible pipe coupling (with
rubber insert... 1-1/2" or 2", I forgot what they have).  Throw out the
rubber insert and then fix the stainless steel part around the are between
the muffler and header pipe.  Then put the British clamp over the outside of
the coupling... with this set up it will never leak.  The coupling looks
like a short two inch long piece of SS pipe with two regular hose clamps
around the outside.  Here's what it looks like:

http://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/images/intake/coupleing.jpg

Good Luck,

Alan

'52 A90