Re: Gas Tank Thread Question

To: "Jim Cox" <jwcox@crosslink.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Thread Question
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:36:04 -0500
Jim,
I did some checking, and found that McMaster-Carr lists an adapter
that will convert 1/4 NPT to 3/8 BSPP.  The Mc-C part number is
4936K122, and they go for $6.81.  NOTE: I have not tried this, so
I do not know if it's a workable solution or not.  If I were faced with
this problem I would return the tank and demand one with the correct
outlet threads.  What I still can't understand is why gas tanks with bogus
fittings are being offered for sale in the first place.  Evidently Mr. Jorge
Cervera is not the only vendor guilty of this.  The excuse I'm getting
from those bothering to respond (still excludes Cervera, after numerous
emails) is that the fitting is not available.  This is hogwash.  BSP is the
most commonly used plumbing thread in the world.  Just because it is
less common in the US doesn't mean it can't be found anywhere.  All it
takes is some backbone, initiative, and a Google search.  There are
literally scores of suppliers worldwide.  The only conclusion I can reach
is that these tank vendors do not have enough pride in their product to
build a tank with the correct outlet threads, or, they are just too lazy to
make the effort.
Doug, 18G