RE: Drain tubes on Carbs again

To: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Drain tubes on Carbs again
From: "Frakes, Jim" <JimF@frakes-eng.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:57:56 -0400
I agree that properly tuned carbs will not or should not, have any
drainage from the intake manifold tubes, but in case it does, it can be
disastrous to the engine. I have witnessed the damage done when the
cylinder walls get washed of all oils and they score heavily. The rear
tube was found to be clogged.

On the other side of the coin, the float bowl overflow pipes is one of
the major areas people have problems. IF, a float sticks, and they may,
without the drain lines extending to below the frame member, the fuel
MAY go directly onto the possible very hot exhaust. I was looking at a
BN6 at the Auburn Auction yesterday and the mechanics were trying to get
it started. When we looked the rear carb, the pipe was about 10 inches
long, pointing directly at the flex pipes! We informed them but left
before they got it started. BTW, the BN6 was a mess.

Jim