Re Tail Lights

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Tail Lights
From: Raymond Carbone <racarbon@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:01:34 -0400
Sometimes I am amazed.  A while back I was scanning the web and came across an
article (site and author lost) that described how to convert the Healey's
reflectors into brake and turn signals. I had long noticed and wanted to add
additional rear indicator lights to my '64BJ8 but was not happy with the many
available.  This article described how to convert the reflectors into
additional brake/directional indicators at an inexpensive cost.  And, the best
part, the visual integrity of the Healey was maintained.

The first thing I did was to purchase (2) small conical-shaped 20W 12V MR11
lawn spotlights with Pin wire connectors.  Although a 10W versions and a lights
with bayonet connector was available on the net, I looked for a product that
could be found at the local Lowe's or Home Depot.  For convenience, I also
purchased (2) ceramic plugs, but if not available, soldering wire to the pins
and insulating with wiring shrink-wraps would not be a problem.

After de-installing and disassembling the (2) reflectors, I put aside the
aluminum mirrors and made a small hole in the center of the rubber mounting.  I
slowly enlarged the hole until the rear of the MR11 fit snuggly while the cone
of the light just touched the red plastic of the reflector.  When reinstalling
the Light-enhanced reflectors onto the Healey, I attached one wire to the tail
light ground and the other to the directional feeds (left - WP, right - WN).

The result.a bright, very-noticeable, auxiliary Directional/Brake light at a
cost of under $15 and a couple of hours of labor

RAC

'64BJ8.