100 and 3000 brake drum balance

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: 100 and 3000 brake drum balance
From: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:17:17 EDT
I had my brake drums balanced on my BN7 a while back, and the amount of
weight put on the drums was amazing to me.  On one drum the weight was  about
1/4
inch thick by 2 inch by 1 inch (sorry, I'm not  metric).  On the other drum it
was about half that.  Can't report on  the effect on ride quality because the
car is not yet  running.  Maybe in a couple of years, if I'm lucky.

Just noticing the rear drums on my BN2 today while spending about 3
'quality' hours removing the handbrake lever and cable(!)  For some reason  I
was
looking at one of the drums and suddenly realized that there is a  sort of fin
cast in the outer face of the drum, just in from the outside  diameter and
running in a circle around the face of the drum.  But -  on the one drum the
fin
runs only about 180 degrees around and looks like  it was nicely machined off
and
then the drum painted.  On the other side,  the fin runs almost all of the
way around, except for maybe 30 degrees or  so.  Is this factory balance?  If
it
is, they must have discontinued  it by the time it got to the 3000's.  Wonder
why, other than of course the  cost.

Dave