Re: 100 and 3000 brake drum balance

To: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Subject: Re: 100 and 3000 brake drum balance
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:10:56 -0700
Hi Dave,

According to Hendrix WW, the drum machining was not always done in the
center of the casting.  http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com/drums.html  You
can observe this by the width of the unmachined margin around the center
machined surface not being equal around the drum.  I have observed that
the BN2 drums appear to be machined more nearly centered than the later
drums & also the rear drums also have unequal amounts machined from this
flange that you mention.

My front drums appear to have been machined concentric or the outer
surface was machined to true with the centers.

  When I checked my BN2 drums for balance they were pretty close. Not off
enough to require correction. Of course it would have been pretty bad
with four drums out of balance. The most reasonable conclusion is that
the factory took some extra effort to center & balance on the earlier
drums & omitted it on later ones.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2