Re: Choke cable

To: "Brian Drab" <brian_drab@infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: Choke cable
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:39:21 +0800
Brian -

1) Choke return springs are not original because the choke, in theory, is
supposed to reset from the force of the carb jet return spring (internal in
the carb).  In reality, however, this will rarely work unless everything is
new and in perfect working order... so it is very common for people to add a
choke return spring on BJ8s.  I have rebuilt carbs and everything is new...
and I still use a choke return spring.  Better that than wasting fuel and
contributing unnecessarily to global warming.

2)  The choke technically should set itself, but over time it gets worn
and then people mistakenly think you are supposed to twist the knob to set
it.  If you want to fix this, you have to take the choke cable off and
replace the little half moon key that fits in the choke mount.  This key
puts pressure on the shaft of the choke knob but over time the key wears and
it doesn't put pressure on the shaft unless you twist it.  But twisting the
choke knob on the BJ8 is a bad idea because it will just cause the knob to
work loose.

3)  The choke is fixed to the dash with a big nut on the back of the choke
"sheath" as you call it.  You probably can't feel it because on the BJ8 the
choke cable mounting nut is inset into the back of the dash... it is not
flush with the back of the dash but inset into the dash, so you have to feel
around below the dash back surface to feel where it all goes.  The
inset makes this nut a complete bastard to tighten properly unless you have
a flare nut socket or some kind of offset box wrench.

--
Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1