Re: BJ8 Crankshaft Oil Restrictors

To: Rich C <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: BJ8 Crankshaft Oil Restrictors
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:15:34 +0100
Rich and Steve

We had a 100 owner who had a big end failure and when the sump was
removed an identified object was found in the bottom. After some
discussion this was identified as a crankshaft oil restrictor. This had
obviously come loose and caused the damage.

It is possible that the person who reground the crank felt that it was
necessary to remove these in order to completely clean the crankshaft
oilways. However if this is done it is essential that replacement
restrictors are a good interference fit and need a lot of pressure to
insert. If they are loose centrifugal force can move them out to contact
the big end bearings.

If in any doubt about a tight fit it might be necessary to make oversize
restrictors. It looks as if this is the case with this example.

All the best

--
John Harper