RE: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback

To: "'Taylor Maurer'" <heavyhiking@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:12:12 -0700
Taylor,

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Why if any reason should I not put a Smitty's conversion in my BN1?

a)Reduced originality / correctness.  Pressure from nitpickers :-)

b)You have loads of cash for rebuilds and enjoy tracking down elusive
laygears.

c)You enjoy the challenge of no 1st gear synchro and the novelty of the
Normanville Laylock overdrives.

2.  How will it affect acceleration and top speed?

a) Faster run through gears with less effort and noise.

b) Slight weight (33% reduction) advantage.

3.  Is it possible to change the conversion back to original without much
notice that it was there?

a) Yes.  Keep all your old transmission parts including relays, solenoids,
kick-down resistor and mounting hardware.

b) Caveat - You will need to cut a hole in your transmission tunnel and
cover the old shifter opening, this can be reversed but is the only
modification that requires altering "cutting".

4.  What toyota trannies are most recomended for this?

a) Any 5 speed from a circa 1980-1990 2 wheel drive pick-up or some Supras.
Very common.  Look for one with shifter location towards front.

5.  Is there any additional feedback from List regarding the conversion?

a) Quieter, Lighter, Cheaper than rebuilds, easier to operate, gear ratios
nearly identical to 1st through 4th with 5th gear acting as overdrive
equivalent.

b) Designed for BJ8, minor easy modifications required for 100-6 and early
3000.  More involved for early cars (BN1s and 2s).

c) Test operation of clutch, throw-out, slave cylinder and pressure plate
(bell-housing mounted only) BEFORE installing transmission.

d) Consider rear engine seal fitment and clutch/pressure plate upgrade now
while it is all apart.

e) Use Pete Delaney's (took over from Smitty) improved bearing version of
the pilot bearing, NOT Smitty's older brass bushing version.

f) A highly recommended upgrade when you are facing major transmission woes.

Tracy
About 15,000 miles on Smitty conversion, very happy.