Re: Fuel pump, positive to negative.

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump, positive to negative.
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:14:14 -0700
Simon,

I THINK the condensor (capacitor) is an electrolytic.  If you keep it,
you'll have to
reverse the leads, else the first time you apply current you'll fry it
(probably to a
dead short, and possibly cause damage to your wiring).  If it's any
other type,
it won't hurt to reverse it.

I've used "off-the-shelf;" i.e. standard diodes, with success.  There's
not much
point in using a Zener--aka "avalance"--diode; they're used for
overvoltage protection
which you're not likely to experience.  You'll need one with a quite
high current rating
(at least 3 amps@, say, 20+volts).  Make sure you get the polarity
correct--diodes usually
have a silver paint "band" on the anode (+) side (Dave R, correct me if
I'm wrong here ;)
FWIW, this is called a "flywheel" diode and is common on a lot of
inductive loads (like
relays).

If it's not too much jack, I'd probably get one from SU ... they come
with terminals
attached and the leads should be marked red (+) and black (-).  Make
sure you tell
them it's for negaive ground (though it won't matter if you get the
leads correct, the
terminals and leads might be a little different).

bs