Re: Fuel pump, positive to negative.

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump, positive to negative.
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:55:02 -0600
Hi Bob,

I believe that the original "condensers"  are of the non polarized paper
variety & wouldn't require reversing.

SU apparently decided that the diode was a better arc suppression device
& installed them in place of condensers on later models. As you say, a
three amp 50 PIV rated diode could be installed in place of the condenser.

More simple to wire would be the Moss replacement diode with flexible
pigtails. The heavy conventional diode leads are a bit hard to get wound
around the small terminals. It would be Moss #377-135 for positive
ground & #377-145 for negative ground. I'm sure that Burlen has
equivalent diodes.

For that matter, the original condenser will likely work pretty well as is.

One thing I have noted when reversing battery polarity is that "some"
light current electrical contacts seem to build a polarity sensitive
"film" that won't let them conduct when the polarity is reversed & may
need to be cleaned. The turn signal relay contacts come to mind.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2