Re: Inside the tank

To: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Inside the tank
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:03:04 +0800
Patrick -

I am unfamiliar with the BN3 - if you have a BN3 shop manual I suggest you
refer to it.  ;-)

One thought comes to mind... it sounds to me like you are getting
intermittent vapor lock, aggravated by more engine heat and more pump stress
from going up a hill.

Is your fuel pump in the same location as on a BN1 and BN2, i.e. directly
above the exhaust pipe on on the left hand side of the car?  If so, I would
suspect this is your problem.

The solution is quite easy... I had a very similar problem with my BN1 until
I went out and bought some header tape and wrapped the pipe on the length
that ran under the fuel pump.  This fixed the 'flutter' problem permanently.

The other potential cause is you might have rust in your tank and it is
clogging up your filters.... use a clear VW Beetle filter so you can see
what crud is in the tank.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1