Distributor Oil Seal

To: "HealeyList" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Oil Seal
From: "Robert Poague" <rapoague@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 17:19:14 -0800
What is the best way to provide an oil seal at the distributor-to-tach drive
housing joint in early 3000's using the DM6 distributor?

Moss sells an oil seal p/n 520-280 which I am currently using, but its
design (similar to a front wheel bearing seal) makes it difficult to remove
the distributor without destroying the seal. Its neoprene lip hangs up in
the groove in the distributor housing extension. Since the seal is a press
fit in the tach drive housing, changing it each time the distributor is
removed and replaced is a hassle, especially if it should become necessary
on the road.

When I assembled the engine after a major overhaul many years ago I just
used silicon sealer on the joint which worked well, but it seems that there
should be a better way. An O-ring? I've seen no reference to a physical seal
anywhere
else except in the Moss catalog. What am I missing?

I welcome your suggestions and comments.

Bob
BJ7