RE: jacks

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: jacks
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:24:24 -0800
Being a man of means - by NO means - but getting older and not relishing
the task of cranking a jack handle on the side of the road (especially in
100 + degree weather), I bought a two ton electric jack at Wal Mart.  It is
very close to the same size as the scissors jack that it replaced as it
fits in the same storage location in my trunk.  Now, when fate deals me a
nasty blow by letting all the air out of my tire or when I need to put the
Healey up on jack stands, I connect the jack to a battery and push the 'up'
arrow on the controller.  No toil, no sweat, no strain on my weary bones.

Which brings up an interesting question for those contempating the purchase
of a jack:  What is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rear
spring  when a rear tire is completely flat?  (Don't forget the u-bolt
threads!!)  What about a front tire?  Is there more clearance there?

Surely someone, while enjoying the task of changing a flat tire has said,
"Gee, as long as I'm under here, I think I'll take some measurements", or
words to that effect.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031