Christmas musings

To: "Healey Mail Group" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Christmas musings
From: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:54:28 -0800
Reading the various posts expressing Christmas wishes got me thinking about
the community of Healey enthusiasts that literally spans the world.  People
whose names we may recognize, but have never met.  People who freely offer
their experience and advice.  People who take the time to email photographs
of this or that, just to help another solve a problem or get a repair right.

This spirit is part of why I enjoy this hobby.  I find old cars to be
remarkably egalitarian.  Where else can a "regular guy" strike up a
conversation with Jay Leno, or General Lyons, or any number of well known
collectors than at a car show?  Or stroll through the pits at a vintage race
event and chat with members of the Edelbrock family while they tune a Trans
Am Camaro at one tent and talk with a guy with a beat up '63 MGB racer that
he tows on an open trailer behind a '70 Ford Econline that doubles as his
sleeping quarters, at another?  I've heard about how an African-American
guy's '70 Ford Galaxie with a 390 ties to his father and grandfather, both
of whom worked the Ford assembly line in Detroit.  I've learned about the
cultural connection of a '41 Chevy to a Latino guy and his kids.  They all
have stories, and most are more than willing to share them with no more
provocation than a compliment on their cars and an open question about them.
Sure, there are some who enjoy pretenses, but by and large the appreciation
of vintage machinery, preserved and enjoyed, far overshadows such
shallowness.

So, I thank the many listers who perpetuate this egalitarian ethic through
their generosity.

Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA