Re: California Owners

To: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: California Owners
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 19:55:06 -0800
At 05:38 PM 1/3/2007, Alan Seigrist Blue 100 wrote:
>... the legislative solution to all of this is to have an annual smog
>exemption certificate that you can buy for say ~ $300-$500 a year.  .....
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Alan

Good thought but there are a lot of junkers that are not registered.
My neighbor specializes in fixing up unregistered cars and selling
them to people that don't register their cars, don't get smog
certificates and don't insure the cars.Someone buying a junker is not
going to pay an annual fee.

The real solution lies in better law enforcement which is very lax to
be truthful. I have called the local police department on many
occasions to complain about the unregistered cars parked on the
street (sometimes three or more). The police are reluctant to come
out and when they do they may cite the vehicle but they do not tow it
away. The law allows that any vehicle that is six months or more out
of date on the registration can be towed.

This can be a tricky issue because people depend on their car to get
to work etc. However, I firmly believe that there should be zero
tolerance and that more vehicles need to be towed. We are paying for
the scofflaws.

John