Re: California Owners

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: California Owners
From: DRACMARINE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 02:44:13 EST
While this thread can /will generate great debate, many states who had an
equivalent to MOT (Full safety inspections---Florida for one many years ago and

Connecticut  more recently)
did not find it helped anyone or much of anything except the politicians  and
the "licensed" operators of such facilities.  Other "barriers" such as  the
gas guzzler tax, insurance premiums based on ZIP codes rather than driving
performance/history, etc. have had limited impact.

I don't have any answers but a VAT on HP, GVW, Low MPG ( real not DOT BS,)
double fuel pricing all have some potential singularly or in combo. Solar, LPG,
 pedal power, etc. could be explored as well.  Get trucks off the road and
put cargo on river barges and coastwise ship (Change the disincentives for
Build  America to do this...)
Increase tolls/taxes where public transport is available to drive use up on
that and out of cars.  Plenty of working examples in this.

Unfortunately many great alternative ideas float out there in the  brain
trust and human imagination, but like the certainty of death and taxes,
nothing
will be done in our lifetime because of a lack of courage by our  "leaders".

Richard of KY/CA
Owner of too many cars...