Re: Pertronix Ignitor

To: Dan Serrao <jobu1950@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix Ignitor
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:53:06 -0700
Hi Dan,

I have noticed the same problem on some distributors. With "some" combinations
of caps &
rotors, there is a possibility of the rotor  hitting the cap contacts.  It's
kind of hard
to determine how much clearance there is between the two parts.

If the rotor hits the cap contacts hard enough, the rotor will break. If it
just hits
lightly, there will be some small metal shaving bits inside. Both are bad!

Make sure that the Pert. magnet sleeve is down on the cam as far as it will go.

Additionally, you may wish to trim a little off the bottom of the rotor to let
it seat
further down. If you have several rotors, measure from rotor bottom to the top
of the
rotor blade & select the shortest one. I have measured up to .080" difference
in this
dimension between rotors out of the same part numbered boxes. Also some
distributor shaft
tops may be located a bit higher than others.

I think an optimum rotor to cap clearance would be around 1/16". Better too
much clearance
than too little.

Regards,
Dave Russell