Healey and Worlds Fastest Indian

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey and Worlds Fastest Indian
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:14:57 +1100
There are two excellent books written on Burt Monroe's life and bikes.

There is also a works Healey connection!
Burt on one of his many visits to the West Coast and road trips to Bonnerville
passed through Mountain Home where the last works Sebring 3000 once lived.

Also Burt witnessed the Healey/MG speed runs and made friends with some of the
team members, notably Capt. George Eaton or Eason.(?, poor memory day)

The films 'on the salt' scenes show an MGB ( ? ) competitor along with other
items known as Big Iron to the LBC crowd.

Healey rebuilders, as opposed to restorers, should idolise Burt as  the 'god of
make it yourself in the home shop'.( Rebuilders do not always buy according to
the proper part number principle, but rather ,this is better or at least this
is available.) He apparently hand made conrods with a saw, file and hobby lathe
from blacksmith beaten flat Caterpiller axles and then did 200mph with it. He
cast/machined his own pistons and at one time when he damaged a cyl. liner he
cut a piece of cast iron drain pipe from a building near the Flats and turned
down a new liner and rebuilt the engine and ran 150+mph the next day.
It is often said that this characteristic is strong within Australians and
NZers because we are so far from the big shops and we have learn't to make do.
I believe that is why motor racing has manny successful participants from down-
under.

Joe

I believe that Burt did this rather than stay at home with the sheep, which was
his family's background