Re: BN4 Radiator

To: "chris vickers" <chris.vickers@virgin.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BN4 Radiator
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 09:02:10 -0500
Chris,

Sounds like your pressure cap isn't seating or holding any pressure at all.
You probably have a cap that isn't deep enough to seat on the filler neck
flange. Most commonly available caps have a 3/4" deep seating, while the
Healey radiator neck  is 1" deep. When things warm up and there is pressure
build up in the cooling system, the coolant is simply being allowed to rise
into the neck and escapes out the overflow. Install a new radiator cap with
a 7 lb. rating and a 1" deep spring seating and I think your problem will be
solved.

By the way, if you completely fill the radiator, the first time the system
comes up to full temperature and is shut off, there will be a bit of coolant
loss as it finds it's own level. After that, there should be no more loss.

Rich Chrysler