BN4 Radiator

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BN4 Radiator
From: "chris vickers" <chris.vickers@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:41:45 -0000
I recently jacked up the front of the car to do some work underneath.
Whilst it was raised I thought to check on the water level in the radiator(
which I do often these days since my experience with a leaking core plug!).
The water level was way below what it should be. I could see at least the
header tank was quite empty.
But no sign of leakage anywhere on the floor.
A couple of pints brought the water back to where it should be.
When I subsequently lowered the car back and, and started the engine,  I
watched as a couple of pints of water came out of the radiator overflow and
over the floor.
When the panic had subsided I tried to think where the 'excess' water had
been in the meantime.
Only thought is the heater, which is currently turned off.
But why should it then run back out again?
Surely the radiator water level does not drop when a Healey goes up a steep
hill!
Anyone out there better at Healey hydraulics than I am?
Chris Vickers
Bemused BN4 restorer.