RE: Oil Tempeature Gauge

To: "'Dennis Broughel'" <brougheldp@wildblue.net>,
Subject: RE: Oil Tempeature Gauge
From: "rjh" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:36:11 -0600
Dennis:

I run an oil temp gauge in my BJ8 rally car.  Like Mike Salter's
installation, mine is a mechanical gauge with a capillary tube.  My gauge is
mounted in the dash to the left of the steering wheel, centered above the
fuel gauge and dual safety gauge.

An important consideration for you because of your installation with the car
already constructed is the size of the bulb assembly that is part of the
mechanical gauge.  You will have to drill a big enough hole in your firewall
to fit through the sensor bulb assembly and then search for an appropriate
grommet to reseal the hole around the capillary tube, which is much smaller
than the sensor bulb assembly.  If you choose the electric sensor/gauge
system, you will only need to feed a single wire through the firewall,
perhaps through an existing grommet.

The mechanical gauge has a 270 degree reading.  The electric gauge is about
a 120 degree sweep along the bottom of the gauge.  Both systems have
reliable histories. If you choose the electric gauge, you will also have to
install a voltage regulating unit.  This is a small fitting that installs
under the dash and reduces the voltage from 12v to 9v, which is the required
voltage for the electric oil temperature gauge.  Later BMC cars all had this
unit installed since the later model fuel gauges also require 9v power.

The sensor for my gauge is placed just in front of the oil drain plug, which
on my car is on the left hand side at the rear of the engine block.  I
drilled a hole in the sump and welded in a bung into which the sensor fits.
The capillary tube rises directly above the sump next to the oil pressure
line that feeds the dual safety gauge.  I have the two lines tied together
with a length of split rubber tubing in between them to prevent chafing.

Both type gauges and the voltage regulator are available from:
http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/classic.htm

Best regards,
Jim Hockert
Dallas, TX