Front hub removal

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Front hub removal
From: Chucknsueo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:47:51 EST
A few days back a lister asked about removing a big healey front wheel  hub.
I just did this job tonight.  After I took off the grease cup,  castellated
nut and washer, the hub would not come off the axle.  Haynes  says to use a 3
legged puller on the brake disk, but the factory manual says to  use a special
service tool to get the hub off and not to pull on the disk.   What I did was
put a smaller socket inside a larger socket and slip it inside  the hub where
the knockoff screws on.  The smaller socket (13/16" Craftsman  in my case) was
stuck in with the square drive end facing the hub.  Then  the large socket
(1-1/8" deep impact) slid over it, sticking out of the hub  about 3/4".  All I
did then was thread the knockoff onto the hub and drive  it on with a hammer.
It pushed the sockets against the axle and pulled the  hub off of the axle.
Worked like a charm!

Chuck Ott
Middletown, DE
62BT7, 67BJ8, 69AN9