Re: Removing Varnish on Dash

To: Bob Johnson <robert.w.johnson@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Varnish on Dash
From: sbyers@ec.rr.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:15:52 -0500
Bob, my recommendation was not Spar varnish, but a pour-on two-part
resin called Enviro-tex Lite.  There are instructions for using this
stuff to refinish the dash at Jim Werner's Big Healey Adventure
website.  It produces a beautiful clear finish without bubbles.
I never was able to find ANYTHING that would do much damage to the
original finish, whatever it was -- even aircraft stripper.  Nothing
chemical would touch it, so I ended up chipping it off by hand.  Very
tedious, and I did inadvertently chip off one small triangular piece of
veneer in the process.  I was able to repair it with Plastic Wood and
stain, and over the years that has aged to pretty much match the rest
of the dash so it isn't visible unless you know where it is, but be
careful.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry