RE: Powder Coat vs Urethane

To: "'Dan Stromquist'" <dan@warner-associates.com>, "'Healey List'"
Subject: RE: Powder Coat vs Urethane
From: "rjh" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:50:42 -0600
Dan:

Find another paint shop.  If the shop cannot match colors, I would steer
clear of them. At least they could send a sample to their paint supplier and
have it matched.  The shop does not sound like they take pride in their
work.  They want a fast job with no hassles.

I would advise against powder coating the chassis anyway.  You will
eventually have some chips and perhaps cracks.  The repairs/touch ups will
have to be performed with paint.  It will not look right.  Urethane paint is
very durable anyway.

My car is painted with Spies Hecker brand paint.  It is $$$$$$ but the
coverage is two to three times better than most US paints, so less paint is
used.  As an aside, I understand that Spies was purchased by PPG last year
so the paint quality may fall to the level of PPG soon.

Best regards,
Jim Hockert
Dallas, TX
BJ8 Rallye