Fw: Windshield gasket

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Windshield gasket
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:38:27 -0500
I understand from an old timer that it is a durable thin woven cloth soaked
in the same kind of rubbery coating that is used to 'dope' the cloth cold
 air intake ducts. You pain the dope on the edge of the glass, leaving
liberal margins. Then fold over the glass and coat the other side. Priming
 the U-channel with the same material, you insert the glass in the channel,
and let dry. Then cut away the excess with a razor.

 I have an orginal 100-4 windscreen with Triplex date coding March 1955 and
the glazing was conducted in just this fashion. I also have a pair of
 original AH aero screens, and one of them has its old glazing intact. You
can see white woven cloth (canvas?) through the glass, and the dope is dark
on the side of the cloth annealed to the frame.

 I will be experimenting with black latex and thin canvas cloth this spring
to reassemble my spare windscreen, as I don't want to risk the original
 window on the road. Will let the list know how I fare.

allen miller