RE: Paint

To: <gardner5@comcast.net>, "'rjh'" <rjh@hockertlaw.us>, "'Dan
Subject: RE: Paint
From: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:00:37 -0600
To give the second stage the patina you are looking for, rub it down
with steel wool. There is a talent to this and of course selecting the
right grade of steel wool. I admire your desire to preserve the patina
on your car. As many of us know, it is difficult to put new parts on an
old car and keep everything looking right.

My car has the second stage polished out and is too shiny for concours,
yet it is a concours car. I am just willing to lose those points.

The technique of dulling a shiny finish down is common. My new 6 foot
Kawai piano is given a dull gloss. When I pointed out slightly shiny
areas, the refinishing technician showed me this technique.

The upside is that you can always shoot another clear coat and start
over or use a buffer to return the finish to shiny.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M